Monday, August 6, 2012

50 Shades of Disgust

I have jumped on board the 50 shades of Grey band wagon. I bought the first of three in this trilogy just to see what the fuss was all about. I expected bad writing, good sex and a little domination. What I got was bad writing and disappointment. 

First off I am going to put on my mommy pants and say this with the utmost respect: you should be ASHAMED! I got about 1/4 of the way through this book when the sex and the dominating kicked in, actually it was the contract that did it in for me. I just couldn't get past the fact that he demanded that she dress, eat, sleep, smell (the list goes on) the way he wants her to ALL the time. Umm, this to me sounds like abuse and I just could not get past that. It's one thing to dominate in the bedroom, it's just not ok to bring it into every day life. The sex scenes were good but I just could not accept Mr. Grey's attitude towards women. It was the complete opposite of a turn on to me. So I threw the book in the garbage, ok so that may be a tad over dramatic. I may have just placed the book mark right back in and placed it in my night stand.

I have never, will never and cannot even pretend to want to be dominated by a man to the point that I cannot make one decision on my own. This book is so degrading that I feel kinda insulted by all women every where that this is the number one best seller. I'm sure if you gave this book to a women who just left an abuse relationship she would ask if it was a joke. 

But that is just my thoughts on it. Enjoy, for all those who have a difference of opinion. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel you on this one. Based on the bad reviews on Amazon, I didn't even bother trying to find out what was in the book. As an avid reader of all sorts of romance, I sorta feel bad for all the talented writers out there who've worked hard for years and then seeing "this" become a global bestseller

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had any desire to spend money on the books, but when my friend said she could email them to me (so that I could read them on my phone), I figured I'd give them a try. I read the first book, and let a lot of things slide. By the time I got to the second book, I developed a lot of strong feelings about it: bad writing, unrealistic sex scenes (I know it's fiction, but still, and awful characters. I was hating the books, but for some reason, I needed to finish them. About 2 or 3 chapters into the third book, I just gave up. The writing is just too awful in my opinion. Can't believe I wasted my time with that crap.

    ReplyDelete