I immediately washed her hands and checked in her mouth for any leaf remnant before calling poison control. The plant she was munching was one I had received from my Mom probably about 10 years ago, I had no idea what kind of plant it was or if it is poisonous but I wasn't taking any chances. While I was on the phone with poison control I got Kaiya soothed and was browsing the web trying to find my beloved plant. I found it. It's called a Dieffenbachia (aka Dumbcane). It is very toxic and can cause paralysis of the throat and vocal cords ( hence the dumbcane part) and death. YIKES!! At this point, I started to cry. The lady reassured me that chances are Kaiya didn't get enough to do serious harm and since it had already been a few minutes then we were probably in the clear.
I checked her mouth, hands and eyes for swelling and redness. I had her drink something (boob milk) to make sure she was swallowing and the lady said that she sounded fine, just keep an eye on her and that's it.
I cried for an hour afterwards, and then cried again when Blair came home and I told him what happened. Wow, it was not a good week for poisonings in our household! Does anyone want to come over for some Salmonella?
Babe in the jumperoo before the incident. The culprit is lurking in the corner just to the left of her, BASTARD!